Reflection 7- TEACHING & LEARNING

19 October 2010 TEACHING & LEARNING (Third Tutorial)
Dr Yeap had again designed an interesting set of activities for our minds to interact, inquire and reflect.
1) Tiles Problem
2) Structure Problem
3) Circle Problem


Engaging Lessons- First we were required to find the number of tiles to a desired perimeter.  Secondly, we were given a pattern structure problem and through visualisation, number sense, metacognition, looking for pattern and communication, the class arrive to a few formulae to solve it .

The last activity and the one that I am most attracted to is the Circle Problem, which I wish that my Elementary and Additional Math Teacher would have taught me. It bagan when Dr Yeap asked us to find different methods to convert a circle to other familiar shape, eg squares, rectangle and triangles with the intention of finding the area of the circle.
We were challenged to think of finding ways to compare the area of the circle to the total area of the cut parts and to see the relationship between the two areas. We were also taught the concept behind the value of pi which is determined by taking the circumference divided by the diameter of the circle. The value of pi is a constant. By plotting the different values, we can plot a graph which gives a straight line. By finding the gradient of the straight line, the value of pi is determined. However, the measurement of the circumference may not be accurate.
Takeways for the Lesson
Using engaged pedagogy to teach skills and the idea of learning by doing, pupils can be engaged in the activity through self discovery and inquiry. The activity made us think of the different possibilities of working out It is an excellent way of introducing a new lesson and concept as the hands-on approach manifests and inspires the creativity of the individual just as it did for us.
Bravo, Dr Yeap for sharing this ultimate learning point with us all!

1 comment:

  1. Hello Everybody,
    My name is Mrs Sharon Sim. I live in Singapore and i am a happy woman today? and i told my self that any lender that rescue my family from our poor situation, i will refer any person that is looking for loan to him, he gave me happiness to me and my family, i was in need of a loan of $250,000.00 to start my life all over as i am a single mother with 3 kids I met this honest and GOD fearing man loan lender that help me with a loan of $250,000.00 SG. Dollar, he is a GOD fearing man, if you are in need of loan and you will pay back the loan please contact him tell him that is Mrs Sharon, that refer you to him. contact Dr Purva Pius, call/whats-App Contact Number +918929509036 via email:(urgentloan22@gmail.com) Thank you.

    ReplyDelete